Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"Like" This Blog!


If I went back in time fifty years ago and told people that in 2014 we would be electronically sharing pictures of their breakfast with others, I would get a lot of funny looks. Needless to say, that is probably happening as we speak somewhere in the world.

And as ashamed as I am to admit, I have done it as well.

Social media has become such an integral part of our lives. YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, take your pick; they have served as launching pads for political movements, fame, and connecting others around the world. To me, at least in my experience, social media can be a form of story-telling. Sites like Facebook can serve as a virtual scrapbook for our lives. I use it to tell my story to my friends and make some along the way to be in contact with them. I use Instagram to express myself artistically. I can discuss and share ideas about anything with anyone around the world on forums and imageboards (even on this blog). I have been more aware of who I am as a person as a result. All I have to do is make a few mouse clicks. Once in a while I look at Facebook posts from years past and see how much I have changed. Social media is a powerful tool, and in my opinion a type of extension of ourselves as people.  

After all, that is precisely why our class is told to take our LinkedIn and Facebook profiles seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment